Tuesday 9 April 2013

H: Holy Days and Holidays

The Wheel of the Year
So, how do we celebrate holidays as a family? It's nothing like as straightforward a question as it should be, for several reasons, including:

  • My immediate family includes practising Christians who aren't aware of my paganism
  • Christianity was forced on me as a child and I don't want to do the same to my children
  • The culture I live in (the UK) is very much organised around Christian festivals

So, we celebrate Christmas with gifts and a tree, Easter with eggs (or other gifts) and I mark the Wheel of the Year festivals by myself. I keep an altar in the living room on the hearth, and do change it according to the season and any particular intent I'm working with. My family know about the festivals and sometimes have wanted to celebrate with me, but it's not an expectation. There are aspects of my practice that impact our family life (mostly natural living things rather than specific spiritual practices), but I generally keep the seasons in a solitary manner.

Image credit: By Midnightblueowl [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons

3 comments:

  1. Nice "H" word. Could also add "happy" . Celebrating is celebrating ... I celebrate those "holy days" but in the family sense, not the religious one.

    Enjoy the Challenge.
    Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting for me to learn how you handle holidays being a pagan. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I have forgone gods of any kind, I've become consciously aware how religion is the hand guiding life in any country. I feel like history needs to be rewritten...but then perhaps North Korea will take care of that.

    Nice blog, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete